Monday 12 May 2014

Early days

According to most net-based calculators, we are currently six weeks and two days pregnant; so, into our seventh week. Baby is the size of a blueberry, has a twin chambered heart that is already beating and little buds that will one day be arms and legs - already segmenting into the beginnings of tiny fingers and toes!

My earlier symptoms have started to ease up; my back and breasts are no longer quite so sore.  I was a bit concerned by this and have re-tested a couple more times since we first found out, just for reassurance that s/he was still there.  On one occasion, after a particularly vivid dream where I'd started bleeding, I called A at work in tears - and she not only calmed me down but stayed on the line whilst I tested again. Have I mentioned recently how much I love my partner?  Thankfully (and I say this with some irony), there is one daily reminder that baby is still with us.  Due to an increasingly sensitive tummy, I've had to adapt my breakfast habits.  Where once I would get up and sit to a large bowl of cereal, followed by a cup of peppermint or chamomile, now I have to start my day with a cup of black tea with milk (slowly) and then maybe half a bowl of cereal, and if my stomach has calmed down after a couple hours I'll try some toast or digestive biscuits (reduced salt, of course)

There were no appointments available at the health centre when we called but I was able to get a phone consultation and from that a recommendation to proceed straight to booking in with a midwife.

That same day, I headed down to the centre and filled out the paperwork with the understanding that the midwife would get back to me to schedule our first appointment.  There were a couple things that concerned me about the paperwork that I didn't get a chance to clarify with the receptionist, as she was particularly busy; mainly, the choice of birth centre.  It sates on the form that the choice must be made before the first appointment with the midwife.  Feeling flustered, I may have misinterpreted this to mean 'indicate now.'  Of the four listed centres, I only recognised two and one was on the other side of the city. I circled the other, still wondering how we would make it - twenty minutes away - in an emergency scenario when neither of us can drive. 

Getting home and reading the literature provided (including a booklet on the facilities in our city) we figured out that one of the locations I hadn't been able to identify was actually quite close to us.  From the centre's description, it seems almost perfect: a home from home environment, with four birth rooms - all of which have pools for labour and birthing, and en-suite facilities - and partners are able to stay following the birth.
We haven't heard back from the midwife yet but when we do we hope that this mistake can be rectified.

No comments:

Post a Comment