Wednesday 24 October 2012

Preconception checkup

I have always had more interest than A in being a biological mother, so there was no difficulty in deciding which of us would carry baby (aka 'Felix'). However, I did have concerns over how easy it would be for me to conceive, on account of my irregular cycles.

In September, we set up a consultation at our local health centre to see where we stood preconception.  Dr D ordered some very basic blood tests: thyroid, iron, FSH, etc. She speculated that I may be a little anaemic.

At the following visit, roughly a month later, Dr D showed us the readings taken and whilst my thyroid and iron results came back normal, my hormone levels indicated that I had not ovulated that cycle. No biggie, I thought, lots of women don't ovulate every cycle. The doctor, on the other hand, explained that based on my blood work and what I had described of my cycles, she would like to order an ultrasound to see if I have polycystic ovaries (PCO)

Doctor D has become our first point of call for fertility related appointments and so far, our experiences as a soon-to-be ttc same-sex couple have been pretty positive. Whilst she seemed a little hesitant with her vocabulary in regards to A and I at first, she was more comfortable in following appointments.  At our last appointment she actually said that whilst she wasn't sure where we stood in regard to fertility treatments on the NHS as a same sex couple, she would be looking into it before our next appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment