Wednesday 31 October 2012

Preconception Consultation 2 - Let's talk ttc!

Another day, another visit to Dr.D.

She asked how everything had gone over the last week and we told her that I had been a little emotional for a few days, but that we were ready to continue in our efforts towards trying to get me pregnant.

*Let's charge that mountain!*

She started going over the potential impact of PCO on my future health but once she asked us if we had done any research and I gave her the essay worth of memorised material, she just touched on the basics, asking us to let her know if we weren't sure of something. I guess in this way, A and I have always been pro-active health-wise; we get a diagnosis, we go look for information.

We covered that for best fertility results, as well as managing PCO symptoms, I should probably get a little closer to my ideal weight. I've never been a big girl - my 5'2 frame makes it harder to hide extra pounds - but I have put on weight since I moved to be with A. I'm currently 4.5 kilos over my ideal weight. I think my new (attempt at a) low-GI diet may help that, and I'm looking towards re-joining the gym.

The next point we covered was Dr.D's recommendations for managing PCOS whilst ttc-ing.  She suggested metformin, which is an anti-diabetic drug that works by suppressing the liver's glucose production. It is also used to treat potential insulin resistance linked to PCO. I'm currently researching contraindications, side effects and cost but we think this is likely our next step.

The next step also involves confirming whether Annie and Sally will meet Harry in his fresh or frozen state. We have been checking out sperm banks as a back up to our current potential k/d and have been pretty interested in one donor in particular, that has the same mix of ethnicities as A. Part of me gets warm and (dare I admit it?) fuzzy inside at the thought that our baby might look a little like A, too. A also seems keen on a donor we are currently nicknaming 'the Viking,' on account of his height/build and hair/beard colour. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment